Countdown:

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Weathering out the storm (email dated 10/14/2008)

Well it's been a full week out here the field and i'm starting to get how things are done around here in the Mission field. This is definatley good training for Life. I mean i have to go shope for myself and even cook, like with a stove not just a microwave... I'm even searching for a house to live in so we can start this new Area up that we've been assigned. Actually techanicaly right now we dont even have our own Area, becasue they still have'nt decided where exactly they want to put the line to seperate our area from the others. So this passed week consisted of a lot of walking and biking around in different areas trying to get a feel for Ponce.

It's been raining a fair amount here and every time it does i just think its probably snowing back home. I dont think that i'm going to see very much snow for the next 2 years of my life. While we were out toking (going house to house) this week we got cought in pretty bad rain storm unprepared. It pretty much looking like we went swimming with our clothes on. Yeah, and to make things just a little worse i was wearing my only silk tie i have out here and it took a really bad beating. Silk and rain dont mix well together. But you know what its all just part of the missionary life. I guess you could say it buildes character. Its all good though the work goes on. We had our P-day changed to tuesday this week because it was Columbus day yesterday and when there is a holiday we work because people are at home with their family's. It turned out to be a really good time to work though. We had our best success yet yesterday. We got 4 return visits and i'm excited to finaly get out and teach some lessons. One lady that we got a return visit with really needs our message and i dont think it was by accident that we talked with her. We talked with her for a little bit and bore testimony of the gospel and that we know that there is a plan for us to return to live with our Father again in Heaven and we are all childeren of our Heavenly Father. As we were talking she told us that her brother was killed not to long ago and the funeral was going to be on Wednesday. So we scheduled a return visit with here on thursday! Yeah it seems to good to be true right! I pray that we're able to teach her this week with the spirit, and that the spirit will touch her Heart so that she'll want to hear more.

In church this week they introduced my companion and I to the ward and had us stand up and be recognized. The ward is really full of nice people that i would love to talk with more often but right now my conversation skills in spanish are still limited...But i try. We had a nice dinner with some members on sunday and had potatos. The potatos reminded me of sunday dinners back home. Oh how i miss those dinners. I'm still trying to get used to cooking for myself. I'm not exactly sure on all the things i like to make yet, so right now i'm still experimenting on what to buy from the store to eat. Hopefully over the next two years i learn to be a good cook. (so if anyone back home has some nice easy recipes that they'd want to send me I'd be very gratefull!) Oh yeah and Mom you'd be proud to hear that i've been buying soy milk here because the regulare milk taste even worse than the soy... I'm actualy learning to like it. Oh yeah i'd ate some shrimp at a members house and it wasn't to bad. You learn to like everything on the mission i guess.

Thank you all so much for you support and love; All of you back home help to keep me going. I cant thank you enough and remeber your always in my prayers and i love you all!

Your's Truely,
Elder Lopez

No comments: